Hello fellow sailors and parents,
Welcome to 2019 Chicago Junior Race week! On behalf of the five host clubs, we are excited to have you join us for a week of fantastic racing off of Chicago’s amazing lake front!
Here are some of the logistics you will need to know for this five day event. The event has three parts - 2 days of buoy racing, followed by an optional one day distance race, and closing out with two days of racing in the Skyline Regatta.
Registration - Friday
Event registration begins Friday at 4 pm Central for all fleets at the Belmont station of Chicago Yacht Club (300 W Belmont Ave, Chicago, IL 60657), and continues Saturday morning from 0730-0900 at the venue locations if you cannot make Friday night. However, we strongly encourage you and your sailor to stop by Friday, unload your gear, get on the water, enjoy a barbeque, and meet your fellow competitors. During registration each sailor must identify their on the water coach to ensure all sailors have coaches present in their racing circle, and bring a completed copy of the attached waiver.
Venues for Racing
The harbor locations for each fleet are as follows:
- Green fleet and Opti RWB sailing out of Corinthian Yacht Club (http://www.corinthian.org ) Saturday and Sunday near Montrose Harbor [ https://www.chicagoharbors.info/harbors/montrose/ ] (601 W Montrose Ave, Chicago, IL 60613)
- Beginner / first time sailors out of Jackson Park Yacht Club Saturday near Jackson Park Outer Harbor [https://www.chicagoharbors.info/harbors/jackson-park-outer/] (6400 S Promontory Dr, Chicago, IL 60649)
- 420 / Laser sailors out of Chicago Yacht Club Belmont Station https://www.chicagoyachtclub.org Saturday and Sunday near Belmont Harbor [https://www.chicagoharbors.info/harbors/belmont/] (300 W Belmont Ave, Chicago, IL 60657)
- The distance race Monday will start off of Belmont harbor [https://www.chicagoharbors.info/harbors/belmont/]but boats will launch from Corinthian or CYC Belmont as noted above
- The Skyline Regatta Tuesday & Wednesday is at Columbia Yacht Club http://www.columbiayachtclub.org (111 N Lake Shore Drive, Chicago IL 60601) near DuSable Harbor [https://www.chicagoharbors.info/harbors/dusable/]
Lunches and Food Please provide a good lunch for your sailor for each day of racing, preferably packed in a watertight bag or container (CYC Belmont Station has boxed lunches which you can pre-order for your sailor via the form here: [https://www.dropbox.com/s/q04auqgo921eh2f/Regatta%20Sandwich%20Order%20Form.docx?dl=0]Jackson Park Yacht Club also has lunches available.
Friday evening after registration, there is an all-fleet party at CYC Belmont Station. We encourage all sailors, parents and coaches to join us to celebrate Junior Race Week, no matter where your sailor is racing!
Awards will be after racing after the last day of each section of the event, at the respective venues.
Parking and Logistics
Parking in Chicago is always challenging, but all three venues have paid parking lots nearby for parents who wish to stay. Depending on wind conditions, you may be able to watch racing from the sea wall, and we may also have spectator boats going on the water. For parking information, please visit the individual yacht club websites, below, or the Chicago Harbors website at www.chicagoharbors.info. For spectator boat information, check in at the registration desk at your venue.
Information and Social Media
The official notice board is on each event’s page at [https://www.regattatoolbox.com]. For updates and information, please follow us on social media:
Instagram: [http://instagram.com/chicagojrw] Twitter: [https://twitter.com/chicagojrw] Facebook: [https://www.facebook.com/chicagojrw]
If you have any questions, please reach out to Sydney, the Regatta Manager at Chicago Yacht Club, who can direct you to the right person to help. email@example.com
Thank you and see you on the water!
Chicago Corinthian Yacht Club [http://www.corinthian.org] Chicago Yacht Club [https://www.chicagoyachtclub.org] Columbia Yacht Club [http://www.columbiayachtclub.org] Jackson Park Yacht Club [http://www.jacksonparkyachtclub.org] Burnham Park Yacht Club [http://www.bpyc.com ]